Sunday, December 6, 2009

All New Laudry Room Plumbing in 12/4/09

Before I can tear out the kitchen, I have to build a temporary kitchen downstairs in the basement.

The laundry room in the basement is 12' x 15' but unfinished. So, I am putting in walls, cabinets, counters, and a sink as the "temporary kitchen" in the basement.

Before I can do that, I had to have a plumber come and tear out the old cast iron drain pipe, add 2 new drains, and ADD new hot and cold running water for the sink as there was none before. $1,200 for the plumber! I think I am going to be a plumber in my next life. Now you know why I do this stuff myself!

*A little "perspective" on Newport Colonial Era homes, first. Most home are 200+ years old, with hand dug basements and only 5-6 feet of head room. Filled with mold and water as the foundations were built with beach sand masonry and rocks. It's rare to have a "laundry room" in the basement of a Newport home! My house is only 60 years old, so I have a real basement (unfinished).

So, the new laundry room will be dry walled with a drywall ceiling, white cabinets, white counter tops, white appliances. I plan to paint the floors with gray epoxy paint. It will be really clean and bright. Most basement laundry rooms are so dark and dingy. I already have a new washer and dryer I bought when I lived in Dayton.

This weekend, I installed and wired (6) recessed CAN lights, rewired the 220v Dryer outlet, and added and wired 3 GFCI outlets. ***You didn't know I was an electrician, did you? I purchased the counter top, sink and faucet today, along with (24) 2 x 4's and 20 sheets of drywall.

So, here are the PHOTOS of before the drywall goes in.
Next are cabinets and tops.
*There was one ceiling light before.



No comments:

Post a Comment